Francis Marion NF is mixed in with Sumter NF on the website, which may make the rules a bit harder to find and separate. FMNF handles “dispersed” camping in a somewhat unusual way.
Dispersed Camping Rules:
- Roadside vehicle camping is not allowed within FMNF. Backcountry / wilderness tent camping is allowed with a free permit.
- Camping is allowed within designated primitive sites without a permit. Free; time limit: 14 days.
- Campfire permits are not required, but check for fire bans
Apparently some people cook meth in this forest. Be able to recognize meth trash, avoid it, and report it.
- Buck Hall Rec Area $20+, water, toilets, showers, riverside
- Elmwood Rec Area – Appears free, water, toilets
- Honey Hill – Appears free, toilets, lookout tower